At Miu Miu’s Spring 2012 show, the models’ faces were left mostly bare, save for a brazen swipe of red across each eye. Bright and severe, the look was a striking accompaniment to the collection’s fairly neutral palette. If you’re bold enough to try it, red is fabulous! So rather than tone down the colour to something more muted, I decided to use a bright, primary red, but soften it by adding both deeper and lighter colours around the edges.
Make no mistake, though, this is not a soft look. It takes a lot of chutzpah to pull off a red smoky eye. What makes it work is multidimensional colour and black eyeliner that defines the eye shape. It’s perfect for a night when you’re feeling daring and you want to paint the town red.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- 12 Days of Christmas Giveaways: Enter to win a T3 blow dryer and flatiron!
- Perfect party dresses under $100: 50 budget-friendly getups to take you through holiday season
- Street Style, Miami: 48 shots of stylish folks spotted around Art Basel 2013
- Wearing the grey trend: 9 Style Panel tips for adding some personality to fall’s favourite neutral
- Beauty Fix: How to heal your feet after a long night of wearing heels, a new trick for applying liquid liner and more