Grace Lee, Maybelline New York’s lead makeup artist: “Joe Fresh is known for that really fresh colour. [Joe Mimran] told me that because there’s a lot of whites and metallics for spring he wanted to do a poppy colour. [The lipstick] is petty much that perfect, perfect coral.”
Jorge Joao, Redken lead stylist: “We created a low ponytail and released some of the slack to have it droop a little bit, to give it a vintage feel. And from there we added a little bit of texture on the side, to make it more ‘now’ and to give it something fresh and urban.”
- The Joe Fresh Spring 2013 look takes the matte lip to the next level. With direction to make it look “like the girls had been in their lipstick all day long,” Grace Lee brushed translucent powder around the lip line after applying Maybelline Color Sensational Vivids lipstick in “Vibrant Mandarin,” which helped to diffuse the colour and give it that worn-in look. “We wanted to make it look almost like chalk,” she explained.
- There was no blush used in this look, instead it was all about fresh, clean skin. To give some dimension and glow, Lee mixed clear Maybelline Baby Lips balm with Eye Studio Colour Tattoo in “Too Cool” and applied it at the inner corners of the eye, down the bridge of the nose and at the high points of the cheeks.
- Use a small brush or pencil when filling your brows—like Maybelline Define-a-Brow—for extra precision. Instead of a solid application over the entire brow, draw on individual hairs to keep it from looking too heavy-handed.
- Rather than spending time trying to craft to perfect messy ponytail, it’s easier to deconstruct a polished pony. Jorge Joao lightly tugged at pieces to loosen them, spraying Redken Fashion Work 12 Versatile Working Spray as he went to ensure proper placement.
Maybelline products used:
Define-A-Brow Eyebrow Pencil ($9, well.ca)
Great Lash Mascara in “Clear” ($8, well.ca)
Dream Fresh BB Cream ($11, well.ca)
Baby Lips SPF 20 Lip Moisturizing Balm in “Quenched” ($5, well.ca)
Great Lash Lots of Lashes Mascara in “Blackest Black” ($8, well.ca)
Eyestudio Color Tattoo 24HR Cream Gel Shadow in “Too Cool” ($9, well.ca)
Color Sensational Vivids Lipcolor in “Vibrant Mandarin” ($10, available January 2013)
Fit Me! Pressed Powder Foundation ($10, well.ca)
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- 12 Days of Christmas Giveaways: Check out what you can win in our third annual holiday contest!
- Holiday makeup: 8 Beauty Panel tips on getting party-ready in a flash
- Best holiday nail art: 16 fun and festive tutorials that’ll make your nails shine
- Carte Blanche: Toronto fashion hits Miami in this all-white exclusive photo shoot
- Toronto sample sales: December 2013′s enviable list of local designer discounts and pop-ups