If I’m going to put so much effort into creating cool nail art, how can I guarantee it won’t chip away the very next day?
Fixing nail polish that’s chipped already and preventing it from happening from the start are two totally different dilemmas. Investing your time in detailed handiwork validates the placement of a security blanket—that is, a good quality base coat and top coat. But not all protective layers are created equal, and some are more useful in particular instances. Instead of a 2-in-1 solution, look for separate formulas with two specific solutions: a base that will hold on to your polish for a long time and a top coat that’s protective and won’t cause shrinkage in your polish (shrinkage being when polish seems to “pull” back from the tip of your nail after a day or two—quick-dry formulas are the biggest offenders of this!). Orly Bonder Rubberized Polish Gripping base coat ($5, orlybeauty.com) dries with a rubber-y finish that adheres to your first coat of polish without damaging the nail beneath. It also doesn’t contain DBP, formaldehyde, or toluene in its formula. A cult classic top coat for nail enthusiasts is Seche Vite Dry Fast top coat ($8, sallybeauty.com), which has a thicker-than-average formula and is best applied when polish is still slightly wet. To really extend the life of your manicure, apply a coat of Seche Vite every day—its shiny finish will flatter your artful digits like a luxe frame does the Mona Lisa!
In need of an afternoon beauty pick-me-up? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- Joe Fresh Fall 2013 look book: 38 items that are just as stylish as they are covetable
- How to dress for a wedding: 13 Style Panel Tips for being the best dressed guest this summer
- Cannes 2013 red carpet beauty: The scoop on Aishwarya Rai’s hair, Marion Cotillard’s mascara and more
- Beauty Fix: Say goodbye to stretch marks, the best bronzer for darker skin tones and more answers to your beauty questions
- Cannes 2013: Jennifer Lawrence, Emma Watson, Nicole Kidman and more top our best Cannes red carpet looks