Rodarte’s Spring 2012 collection had two magical muses: Van Gogh’s iconic work Starry Night and Disney’s Sleeping Beauty, and the opaque navy blue smoky eyes echoed the rich colours found in both. To balance the dramatic feel of the collection, Nars makeup artist James Kaliardos painted eyeshadow all the way up to the brow bone. While this certainly made a statement on the runway, it’s a bit too Maleficent-esque for day-to-day. With a few minor adjustments, however, this look is perfect for a night when you want to sparkle.
When creating my version of the look, I followed Kaliardos’s lead and kept the lips and cheeks nearly bare and focused on highlighting the structure of the face. However, I took a different approach with the eyes by using lighter shades of blue. I also fully embraced Van Gogh’s stars and added a slick of gold cream liner topped with glitter under the eye.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- Eva Longoria vs. Rooney Mara: Who wore it best on day 3 of the Cannes Film Festival?
- Topshop has launched a music festival style collection with Kate Bosworth: See all 21 Topshop Festival items now
- Rooney Mara is the face of Calvin Klein’s newest fragrance, Downtown Calvin Klein
- Lana Del Rey’s full FASHION Magazine Cover Shoot
- Summer 2013: Table of contents