Beauty Fix: How to add volume to thin hair in hot weather, why you should embrace your shiny skin and a surefire way to avoid breakouts when you apply sunscreen
The only reason I don’t wear sunscreen on my face is because it makes me break out. Can I protect myself and stay pimple-free?
I’m coming across this same problem on a regular basis these days. Just last week I was at dinner with a friend when she asked me why I don’t have any wrinkles yet—I’m 30 and it’s common to have developed a few fine lines by now. My reply was that it was partially due to good genetics and partially due to my rigid protection from sun damage. When I asked her why she doesn’t wear sunscreen if she’s so worried about wrinkles, my friend said she’d prefer them over pimples, which she believed she had developed by wearing SPF on her face. Now, I realize sunscreen isn’t solely intended for preventing wrinkles—it’s mainly for protection from the sun, but of course the two are inextricably linked. So how did pimples get involved? Probably because past product technology wasn’t as great as it is now: sunscreen used to be greasier, more pore-cloggy, and prone to leaving white-streaks behind. Honestly, SPF technology has come so far since the early days. Take Dermalogica Skinperfect Primer SPF 30 ($64, at select spas and salons) for example. It’s a primer-slash-moisturizer with a silicon element that manages moisture from penetrating the skin’s surface, which should help prevent pimples. It also has a neutral tint with thousands of little pigments to blend into any skin tone, no matter your shade. With no fragrance or dyes added, the SPF 30 is just icing on the cake.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- How to photograph well: Makeup tips to ensure you look as spectacular in pictures as you do in-person
- Marion Cotillard vs. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley: Who wore the little white dress best at Cannes?
- Wedding day beauty: Whether you’re the bride or a guest, 10 tips for romantic makeup and hair
- Discounts for all! Kate Spade, J.Crew, Hudson’s Bay and more will open at Toronto Premium Outlets
- Behind the scenes at Tanya Taylor’s wedding: From her haute couture wedding gown to the tropical paradise venue