Are beauty vloggers the new activists? Two guerilla PSAs use makeup tutorials to spread social messages
Take 17-year-old Nikkie de Jager from the Netherlands, who first became involved in the online makeup tutorial world at the tender age of 14 and has since developed a following of over 180,000 subscribers. Volkswagen, frustrated with the 500,000-plus road crashes that are caused by female drivers applying their make-up every year (in Britain alone), tapped De Jager for a guerilla PSA, reaching women “exactly where [they] spend time thinking about ‘make-up’”. So far, “a crash course to shine,” which depicts De Jager crashing in slow motion while trying to apply a rhinestone applique, has received over 500,000 views.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- Eva Longoria vs. Rooney Mara: Who wore it best on day 3 of the Cannes Film Festival?
- Topshop has launched a music festival style collection with Kate Bosworth: See all 21 Topshop Festival items now
- Rooney Mara is the face of Calvin Klein’s newest fragrance, Downtown Calvin Klein
- Lana Del Rey’s full FASHION Magazine Cover Shoot
- Summer 2013: Table of contents