Oxblood is certainly the colour of the season and from what we’ve seen so far at New York Fashion Week it’s still going strong for Spring 2013. And, like many colour/fashion/beauty trends it’s a shade that’s been in the spotlight before. Deep red lipstick definitely had its moment in the mid-’90s (hello, Drew Barrymore!) and I distinctly remember being obsessed with a special edition bottle of Wet n Wild nail polish that was a rich oxblood shade. (It was 1996 and interesting nail polish colours generally only came out in time for Halloween.) Fun fact: After painting it on, my dad commented that the nail polish make it look like I’d bashed my fingers with a hammer—which obviously made the oxblood colour seem that much cooler. Needless to say, I’m eager to see what he thinks about this actually bloody nail art. Based off the manicure from Prabal Gurung Spring 2013, I’ve been obsessed with it ever since our beauty editor Sarah Daniel snapped a picture of it last week while backstage. It’s quite the literal take on the oxblood trend and also a pretty impressive nail art design in its own right. Grab a deep shade of red nail polish, a dotting tool and a tiny brush and get started!
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- Eva Longoria vs. Rooney Mara: Who wore it best on day 3 of the Cannes Film Festival?
- Topshop has launched a music festival style collection with Kate Bosworth: See all 21 Topshop Festival items now
- Rooney Mara is the face of Calvin Klein’s newest fragrance, Downtown Calvin Klein
- Lana Del Rey’s full FASHION Magazine Cover Shoot
- Summer 2013: Table of contents