Want to do your hair and makeup like Carly Rae Jepsen? We share all the tips, tricks and products used from our cover shoot!
“Carly brought some of her own ideas, but she was very easy going and left it up to me,” said Anna Nenoiu of the hair and makeup she devised for Carly Rae Jepsen’s FASHION Magazine cover. “Prior to the shoot Gabor [Jurina, the photographer], Zeina [Esmail, the stylist] and I had gone through her previous appearances and we wanted to elevate her look into something in line with who she is—a young, edgy artist—but more ladylike and stylized.” For Jepsen’s hair, this meant keeping her signature bangs but amping up the volume and texture of her naturally wavy style.
After adding in a few extensions for length, Nenoiu separated Carly Rae Jepsen’s hair into two-and-a-half inch sections. Each section was sprayed with TreSemmé Curl Locking Extra Hold Styling Spray ($8, well.ca)—which helped add moisture back into the hair—and then loosely wrapped around Nenoiu’s hand and pinned to Jepsen’s head. Instead of drying the curls with the heat of a blowdryer, it was left to set and dry naturally while Nenoiu got to work on Carly Rae Jepsen’s makeup.
Once the curls were dry, the pins came out and Ninoiu ran a straightening iron through Carly Rae Jepsen’s bangs. “Her edgy, straight bangs are a key element of her look,” she explained. The rest of Jepsen’s hair was also partially straightened—just from the top of her head to her ears—while the beachy waves flowed from jawbone to waist. “It’s a look that’s done, but undone. Good for someone who’s young,” said Ninoiu. A healthy load of TreSemmé Tres Two Extra-Hold Hairspray ($8, well.ca) was applied to finish the look, and to also add extra shine to Carly Rae Jepsen’s hair.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- How to photograph well: Makeup tips to ensure you look as spectacular in pictures as you do in-person
- Marion Cotillard vs. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley: Who wore the little white dress best at Cannes?
- Wedding day beauty: Whether you’re the bride or a guest, 10 tips for romantic makeup and hair
- Discounts for all! Kate Spade, J.Crew, Hudson’s Bay and more will open at Toronto Premium Outlets
- Behind the scenes at Tanya Taylor’s wedding: From her haute couture wedding gown to the tropical paradise venue