Clean, simple and slightly androgynous was the idea for hair and makeup at Jeremy Laing. “It’s masculine, but with feminine tones to contrast the gender-bender look,” explained CoverGirl makeup pro Greg Wencel. Eyebrows were defined with a brow pencil, but the desired effect was for a full, soft brow—not a harsh or bold statement. Eyes were equally soft, with a light wash of CoverGirl Intense ShadowBlast in “Beige Blaze” and a dusting of warm eyeshadow on top. In a very Downton Abbey sort of move, no mascara was applied—this further impressed the idea of a masculine, androgynous look.
The hair was slicked back in a style that Justin German, Pantene’s consulting stylist, described as extremely current: “Helmut Lang started this hair […] you don’t reference it back to another decade, it’s not ‘20s, it’s not ‘40s, it’s modern.” The trick to the look is the pulled panel in the back, which German’s team actually secured with a French twist. The top portion of hair was backcombed and secured-slash-styled up with a mix of wax and shine serum.
And then: the nails! Created by Leeanne Colley from Tips Nail Bar, the design used two custom China Glaze polish mixes. The base—a deep red—was a combination of “Liquid Leather” and “Drastic” that gave solid coverage with a bit of transparent sheen after one coat. Then, a gold mix of “Champagne Bubbles” and “Agro” was added on top, painted roughly from the moon and about halfway up the nail for a deconstructed and almost tarnished final look.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- Beauty Fix: Say goodbye to stretch marks, the best bronzer for darker skin tones and more answers to your beauty questions
- Cannes 2013: Jennifer Lawrence, Emma Waston, Nicole Kidman and more top our best Cannes red carpet looks
- Bouffant hair tutorial: How to add some Lana Del Rey-approved volume to your look
- Eva Longoria vs. Rooney Mara: Who wore it best on day 3 of the Cannes Film Festival?
- Topshop has launched a music festival style collection with Kate Bosworth: See all 21 Topshop Festival items now