One of the biggest challenges with The ShOws is the beauty: because the designers have already presented their Fall 2012 collections elsewhere, hair and makeup has to take inspiration from what was previously done. However, there’s always room for adaptations and change—which was certainly the case at Jean-Pierre Braganza’s show. “He wanted a smaller version of the hair,” explained Justin German, Pantene’s consulting stylist of the loose pompadour style. “There was trouble getting the clothes on over the hair in London!” Despite this edit, the final look still had volume and height. After prepping with mousse and hairspray—because many models had washed their hair the night before, making it too slippery to work with—the back was tucked in and pulled tightly together in a French twist. Teasing and backcombing ensured volume on top, and a faux bang added visual interest. The custom-cut fringe (which looked like a huge false eyelash!) was intended to stand out against the colour of each model’s hair—like a little wink from runway to front row.
For the makeup, CoverGirl makeup pro Greg Wencel produced a knockout ombré lip that mixed together shades of burgundy and gold. The trick to this look was eyeshadow: after lip liner and lipstick were on, Wencel applied “True Yellow Gold” from CoverGirl’s Eye Enhancers 3-Kit Shadows palette to the centre of the lip. “The shadow helps the colour not bleed,” Wencel explained. “So [the lip] won’t become one solid colour.” The rest of the face was very minimal. Skin was clean and “humid-looking” without any contouring—to the (intentional) point of almost appearing androgynous.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- How to dress for a wedding: 13 Style Panel Tips for being the best dressed guest this summer
- Cannes 2013 red carpet beauty: The scoop on Aishwarya Rai’s hair, Marion Cotillard’s mascara and more
- Beauty Fix: Say goodbye to stretch marks, the best bronzer for darker skin tones and more answers to your beauty questions
- Cannes 2013: Jennifer Lawrence, Emma Waston, Nicole Kidman and more top our best Cannes red carpet looks
- Bouffant hair tutorial: How to add some Lana Del Rey-approved volume to your look