Toronto Fashion Week Spring 2013 backstage beauty: We test drive the 1-and-a-half-inch nails at Ashtiani
Last season I had the chance to work backstage during Toronto Fashion Week with the team from Tips Nail Bar. This season, the tables were turned: Essie invited me to experience what it’s like to be a model (er, nail-wise, that is) by getting the look for Ashtiani Spring 2013 applied on my own nails. Rita Remark, the lead Essie nail artist for World MasterCard Fashion Week, was leading the charge backstage, working with the team from Pinky’s Nails to design and apply creative manicures for seven shows throughout the week. (That’s more than 850 nails that need to be prepped and painted beforehand!)
As soon as I arrive Rita sits me down and gets to work. After all, when you’re backstage it’s all about doing as much as possible as quickly as possible: With a dozen-plus models per show and only a few hours blocked off for hair and makeup, you’ll often find the nail techs squeezed between stations, kneeling at the models’ feet in a scramble to get every last nail finished.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- Eva Longoria vs. Rooney Mara: Who wore it best on day 3 of the Cannes Film Festival?
- Topshop has launched a music festival style collection with Kate Bosworth: See all 21 Topshop Festival items now
- Rooney Mara is the face of Calvin Klein’s newest fragrance, Downtown Calvin Klein
- Lana Del Rey’s full FASHION Magazine Cover Shoot
- Summer 2013: Table of contents