Is there anything more enchanting than red eyeshadow? It’s an unassuming colour—we’re accustomed to bright-red lips and rosy-red cheeks, but apply the shade on your eyelids and everyone will take note. Shades of crimson and maroon have been slowly infiltrating red carpets and runways for a few seasons now: Miu Miu did a stunning red winged shadow for Spring 2012 and Keira Knightley wore the shade for a very romantic look last fall. And now Gucci has brought the shade back into the spotlight with a burgundy eye that, frankly, I haven’t been able to stop looking at ever since makeup artist Pat McGrath tweeted pictures from backstage.
According to Allure, the deep red shade was a direct request from Gucci’s Frida Giannini as a necessary “flash of colour.” After lining the eyes with a brown pencil, McGrath applied the burgundy pigment to lids with a brush, forming it in a loose, winged shape. (And to go back to my point about wanting to stare at the Gucci Fall 2013 look for hours on end, this backstage action shot from WWD is just as engaging. See also: just how shimmering this deeply pigmented colour is.) Bleached brows—a McGrath and Gucci signature—helped to emphasis the burgundy shadow and make a greater contrast between models’ eyes and the unusual colour choice. A healthy coat of mascara also allowed for further definition, but really it’s that first step of lining (and tightlining!) the eyes that really make the red shadow at Gucci look so slick and not all all sickly.
What do you think? Is red eyeshadow here to stay? Are you already adding a burgundy shadow to your shopping list or do you still need to be convinced?
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- How to dress for a wedding: 13 Style Panel Tips for being the best dressed guest this summer
- Cannes 2013 red carpet beauty: The scoop on Aishwarya Rai’s hair, Marion Cotillard’s mascara and more
- Beauty Fix: Say goodbye to stretch marks, the best bronzer for darker skin tones and more answers to your beauty questions
- Cannes 2013: Jennifer Lawrence, Emma Waston, Nicole Kidman and more top our best Cannes red carpet looks
- Bouffant hair tutorial: How to add some Lana Del Rey-approved volume to your look