The brand with the propensity for making expensive look cheap has gone, well, cheap. Today H&M announced that Versace will be its next designer collaboration, and we can’t help but wonder, isn’t the point of Versace that it made its name defending tacky chic? (That itty-bitty mini exposing everything has been sewn with the highest level of craftsmanship and made with the finest Italian fabrics.) This collab could go so many different ways, and we’re praying for directional. Spring’s edgy technicolour zigzags, for example, would look unreal on the selling floor, as would a revival of some offbeat ’90s Gianni-isms, but a sexed-up red-carpet multi-layered goddess gown? Lost in translation. Judging by the images released with this morning’s announcement, the collection is looking fabulous so far. We’re crossing our fingers that the rest follows suit.
The collection, available on November 17, promises to include several iconic womenswear and menswear pieces in colourful prints, gold and leather, as well as jewellery and home furnishings. Donatella Versace will also create a pre-Spring collection, which will be exclusively available online from January 19, 2012. We suggest setting multiple calendar alerts, like, right NOW!
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- How to dress for a wedding: 13 Style Panel Tips for being the best dressed guest this summer
- Cannes 2013 red carpet beauty: The scoop on Aishwarya Rai’s hair, Marion Cotillard’s mascara and more
- Beauty Fix: Say goodbye to stretch marks, the best bronzer for darker skin tones and more answers to your beauty questions
- Cannes 2013: Jennifer Lawrence, Emma Waston, Nicole Kidman and more top our best Cannes red carpet looks
- Bouffant hair tutorial: How to add some Lana Del Rey-approved volume to your look