They said/We said: Kate Middleton’s wedding dress attracts record-breaking number of visitors to Buckingham Palace
Since its worldwide debut at the most famous wedding of the year, Kate Middleton’s Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen gown has won over fashion critics and royal watchers alike. The dress continues to impress, with a record-breaking number of fans flocking to Buckingham Palace to see it IRL.
Since opening on July 23, “The Royal Wedding Collection” has had 354, 000 visitors so far, and with just a month left until the exhibit closes, the expected revenue from the $27 tickets will be $13 million.
So, where’s all the cash going? Part of the revenue is going to William and Kate’s wedding charity fund—oh, and to spruce up the Royal Family’s digs, including their palaces and extensive art collections.
Royal Collection Spokesperson: “We’re thrilled that so many people have visited Buckingham Palace this summer in what looks to be a record year. The Royal Wedding attracted worldwide interest, so it’s only natural that many people want to come to see the State Rooms, some of which were used for the wedding reception, and take a closer look at The Duchess of Cambridge’s dress – which celebrates great British design.” [People]
The Cut: “The exhibit is likely to only add to the list of records broken by this summer’s royal wedding, which already includes television viewership and, probably, Pippa’s butt’s near-instantaneous icon status.” [NY Mag]
Randi Bergman, online editor: The more press this dress gets, the more thrilled I am that it bears Alexander McQueen’s name. Love live McQueen (and the future queen)!
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- Beauty Fix: Say goodbye to stretch marks, the best bronzer for darker skin tones and more answers to your beauty questions
- Cannes 2013: Jennifer Lawrence, Emma Waston, Nicole Kidman and more top our best Cannes red carpet looks
- Bouffant hair tutorial: How to add some Lana Del Rey-approved volume to your look
- Eva Longoria vs. Rooney Mara: Who wore it best on day 3 of the Cannes Film Festival?
- Topshop has launched a music festival style collection with Kate Bosworth: See all 21 Topshop Festival items now