He’s no lady. Boy wonder Andrej Pejic brings his dry wit and supermodel moves to the top Canadian designs for spring.
The model of the moment is gorgeous, leggy and pillow-lipped. Oh, and he’s a man. Can we handle that?
When Andrej Pejic and I walk into Toca restaurant at the Ritz-Carlton in Toronto, the chipper hostess greets us warmly: “Welcome, ladies. Table for two?”
Pejic, the most talked-about male model of the moment, doesn’t even blink. In town for Spring 2012 LG Fashion Week, the tall, slender 20-year-old with baby-fine white-blond hair and delicate cheekbones is beyond used to being taken for a girl. “Story of my life,” he says drolly. His voice—quite deep, unhurried, Australian-accented—gives the game away. “If I get asked a question, I’ll answer,” he says. “Usually people are amazed. Some of them are like, ‘Sorry,’ and others are even more interested.”
This could serve as a description of the fashion world’s reaction to Pejic. He was born in war-stricken Bosnia and Herzegovina, and his family moved to Serbia and then to Melbourne. In high school, he started to experiment with makeup and hair dye. He was scouted at 17, and on one of his first jobs, he opened a runway show for a womenswear brand at Sydney fashion week. “No one actually noticed that it was me, or not a girl,” he says. He went on to shoot some edgy editorials, but commercial jobs were harder to come by in the small, somewhat conservative market, so his mum borrowed some money for him, and he went to try his luck in London.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- Kate Middleton (and royal baby bump) shine in yellow Emilia Wickstead at the Queen’s garden party
- What to wear to a wedding: 5 street style-inspired outfits and tips for every summer occasion
- J.Crew Vancouver: Go inside the Pacific Centre’s new women’s-only location
- Jessica Chastain vs. Milla Jovovich: Who wore it best on the Cleopatra red carpet at Cannes?
- Joe Fresh Fall 2013 look book: 38 items that are just as stylish as they are covetable