Michelle Obama may preach a budget-conscious wardrobe, but that must not apply to her skivvies; the first lady reportedly dropped a nonchalant $50,000 at lingerie shop extraordinaire Agent Provocateur.
We normally wouldn’t comment on anyone’s pre-Valentine’s Day prep (which must be why Mobama and Queen Sheikha Mozah took to Madison Ave—and partly closed it off due to their arrival—for their luxury lingerie shopping spree) but for someone whose husband is up for re-election in a time where budget issues are a vital factor, we say it’s probably not the smartest idea to spend on lingerie what most people spend on a car.
Agent Provocateur is certainly benefiting from the Mrs. O’s business; the Telegraph reports she was the reason the store increased 12 per cent in sales last year, which makes us think: could all this be a publicity stunt to garner attention for the store?
We’d like to think the first lady is smarter than this, and likely had a bit of help from Queen Mozah in racking up the huge bill (that is, if the spree actually happened). Either way we can’t help but wonder what the Prez had to say about all this. Actually, we’re pretty sure he won’t be complaining.
Fashionista: “[…]whatever the case, we have a feeling it’s going to be a Valentine’s Day to remember for the President.” [Fashionista]
Politico: “Having the first lady’s name attached to a product, or in this case a lingerie store, can garner a lot of free advertising.” [Politico]
Randi Bergman, online editor: “While new Republican skeletons seem to be revealed weekly, I’m just happy that this is the most salacious thing to report about the Obamas, god bless ‘em!”
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- Wedding day beauty: Whether you’re the bride or a guest, 9 tips for romantic makeup and hair
- Discounts for all! Kate Spade, J.Crew, Hudson’s Bay and more will open at Toronto Premium Outlets
- Behind the scenes at Tanya Taylor’s wedding: From her haute couture wedding gown to the tropical paradise venue
- What to wear on holiday: 41 shopping must-haves for the summer’s most stylish events
- Kate Middleton (and royal baby bump) shine in yellow Emilia Wickstead at the Queen’s garden party