Our top picks from Western Canada Fashion Week including Stanley Carroll, Angélique Chmielewski, Malorie Urbanovitch and more!
Running seasonally for eight straight nights since its inception in 2005, Western Canada Fashion Week (WCFW) offers a platform for both emerging and veteran designers alike to showcase their work in a province that is relatively new to the fashion scene. Alongside expert-affirmation from the Mercedes-Benz Start Up judges last week, we can certainly say that there is some sparkle out west.
From Edmonton darling Nicole Campre, this season’s WCFW Emerging Designer contest winner, to long-time mens and womenswear designer Stanley Carroll, WCFW is nurturing some exciting talent each season at the TransAlta Arts Barns—and here are a few to check out:
Angélique Chmielewski —this much-buzzed-about New York–based designer was a crowd favourite. An Edmonton native, Chmielewski used fetching colour combinations of white, black and blue in flowing and structured pieces that felt street-chic and contemporary. We also couldn’t stop thinking: BCBG Max Azria.
Malorie Urbanovitch returned this season with another strong collection, staying true to her clean aesthetic. The girl channeled the ‘80s for fall, with crop tops and jock-style high school jackets in an array of mossy greens. It’s also no surprise that she was picked as a Mercedes-Benz Start Up semi-final winner; look out for her in Toronto this October.
Luxx ready-to-wear designer Derek Jagodzinsky brought a little reality-show star appeal when he introduced his collection with Canada’s Next Top Model Cycle 3 runner-up Linsay Willier —also from Edmonton—in a pair of copper sequined pants. (P.S. Whatever happened to that show? Come on, Jay!
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- How to photograph well: Makeup tips to ensure you look as spectacular in pictures as you do in-person
- Marion Cotillard vs. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley: Who wore the little white dress best at Cannes?
- Wedding day beauty: Whether you’re the bride or a guest, 10 tips for romantic makeup and hair
- Discounts for all! Kate Spade, J.Crew, Hudson’s Bay and more will open at Toronto Premium Outlets
- Behind the scenes at Tanya Taylor’s wedding: From her haute couture wedding gown to the tropical paradise venue