“This candid shot of Kirsten Owen has a strong grunge feel to it. It’s the graffiti on the wall and the dirt on the ground, and her messy blonde hair and clothes are almost anti-fashion,” says FASHION’s current art director, Maarten Sluyter.
“As a model, she was always creating other people’s moments—photographers, stylists—and this image captures her moment, her five minutes spent by herself. She seems completely unguarded and happy. It’s really street photography before street photography became a trend. Now, we see photos of models off-duty all the time, but back then most people probably wouldn’t have recognized her so dressed down. It’s about feeling comfortable, looking exactly the way she wanted to.”
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- Eva Longoria vs. Rooney Mara: Who wore it best on day 3 of the Cannes Film Festival?
- Topshop has launched a music festival style collection with Kate Bosworth: See all 21 Topshop Festival items now
- Rooney Mara is the face of Calvin Klein’s newest fragrance, Downtown Calvin Klein
- Lana Del Rey’s full FASHION Magazine Cover Shoot
- Summer 2013: Table of contents