Just last month, we reported on rumours that Lana Del Rey had been tapped as the newest face for H&M, and already the Swedish retail giant has both confirmed the rumours and released images of the retro-inspired campaign.
Del Rey’s self-described “ghetto Nancy Sinatra” style is at its best in the ads, which feature the chanteuse in a powder pink angora sweater, peach skinnies, art deco drop earrings and her signature combo of a Barabella bouffant and ‘60s-esque makeup.
“The mood is very L.A. noir,” Donald Schneider, H&M’s creative director, told WWD. “It’s inspired by our fall collection.”
The theme of the campaign is “a modern and feminine woman with a soft attitude,” said Chloe Bowers, H&M’s PR Manager, to Grazia Daily, adding that the collection focuses on curves, knitwear, tweed and powder tones.
On top of the Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin–snapped campaign, a minifilm of Del Rey performing the Roy Orbison classic “Blue Velvet” will be released on hm.com on September 19 to celebrate the new collection, with edited versions running as TV ads afterwards. The singer-turned-fashion-It-girl will appear in front of the lens for the retailer’s winter campaigns as well.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- How to photograph well: Makeup tips to ensure you look as spectacular in pictures as you do in-person
- Marion Cotillard vs. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley: Who wore the little white dress best at Cannes?
- Wedding day beauty: Whether you’re the bride or a guest, 10 tips for romantic makeup and hair
- Discounts for all! Kate Spade, J.Crew, Hudson’s Bay and more will open at Toronto Premium Outlets
- Behind the scenes at Tanya Taylor’s wedding: From her haute couture wedding gown to the tropical paradise venue