“Many of the interesting shapes featured in this photograph are duplicated,” says FASHION’s current art director, Maarten Sluyter. “The model’s hair mimics the volume of her skirt, and the V shapes are repeated. There’s a lot of contrast in this image—it’s stark white and jet black with very little grey. It makes me think of classic Man Ray or Herb Ritts photography. The model’s pose has a timeless, sculptural quality—it’s graceful, almost ballerina-like. Here, form takes the spotlight.”
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- Eva Longoria vs. Rooney Mara: Who wore it best on day 3 of the Cannes Film Festival?
- Topshop has launched a music festival style collection with Kate Bosworth: See all 21 Topshop Festival items now
- Rooney Mara is the face of Calvin Klein’s newest fragrance, Downtown Calvin Klein
- Lana Del Rey’s full FASHION Magazine Cover Shoot
- Summer 2013: Table of contents