Toronto is joining the ranks of New York, London and Milan: IMG Fashion has bought Toronto’s World MasterCard Fashion Week
It’s hard to believe that in the space of 13 years, Robin Kay has taken Toronto Fashion Week from a single-sponsor, $25K-budgeted event to the second largest fashion week in all of North America. With today’s huge news that IMG Canada (in collaboration with IMG Fashion) has bought World MasterCard Fashion Week in Toronto, it truly seems like the event has fully come into its own.
Though this new ownership means that Kay, the founder and former executive director of the event, will be stepping down, she assured the Canadian fashion world that she wouldn’t be going anywhere.
“Creating Fashion Week in Toronto was a career dream for me . . . In business, timing is everything, and I am confident that the time is right for IMG to take World MasterCard Fashion Week to the next level,” she said. “I have no plans to disappear and I will remain committed to helping and nurturing Canadian designers shine on the catwalk.”
So what does this mean for this year’s events? Well, IMG already handles all the major international fashion weeks across the world, including New York, Milan and London to name a few. Its huge network of expertise, experience and contacts will definitely mean big things for the Canadian talent that manages to show at Toronto Fashion Week, bringing even more international attention to homegrown designers.
Despite the change of hands, Toronto Fashion Week is still slated for October 22-26 at David Pecaut Square.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- Marion Cotillard vs. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley: Who wore the little white dress best at Cannes?
- Wedding day beauty: Whether you’re the bride or a guest, 10 tips for romantic makeup and hair
- Discounts for all! Kate Spade, J.Crew, Hudson’s Bay and more will open at Toronto Premium Outlets
- Behind the scenes at Tanya Taylor’s wedding: From her haute couture wedding gown to the tropical paradise venue
- What to wear on holiday: 41 shopping must-haves for the summer’s most stylish events