Kristin MacDonald, 27
Fredericton | Doll Parade
I am going pretty gaga over the oversized trend though it proves difficult to wear for a petite girl of 5’3″ who can’t just wear anything with the grace of a gazelle. Enter this semi-pleated lantern skirt. Though the photo may not do it full justice, this skirt is kind of enormous. Trickily enough, though, it sits high on the waist that I can still keep part of my silhouette when wearing it, which is what ultimately sold me on the shape. I threw in my boyfriend blazer for good measure and paired my oversized items with a neutral silk blouse, tying it haphazardly at the waist so that I wasn’t swimming in a sea of fabric.
Small details like a simple knot can change the entire shape of a blouse, designating at least one focal point to this otherwise completely too-big-on-purpose kind of outfit. Next up: finding a cocoon coat with pillow sleeves that is not to my ankles. Mission accepted.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- Kate Middleton (and royal baby bump) shine in yellow Emilia Wickstead at the Queen’s garden party
- What to wear to a wedding: 5 street style-inspired outfits and tips for every summer occasion
- J.Crew Vancouver: Go inside the Pacific Centre’s new women’s-only location
- Jessica Chastain vs. Milla Jovovich: Who wore it best on the Cleopatra red carpet at Cannes?
- Joe Fresh Fall 2013 look book: 38 items that are just as stylish as they are covetable