Pantone Colour of the Year 2013, Emerald: We celebrate the jewel tone’s influence with 34 runway and shopping picks
“Most often associated with brilliant, precious gemstones, the perception of Emerald is sophisticated and luxurious. Since antiquity, this luminous, magnificent hue has been the color of beauty and new life in many cultures and religions. Also the color of growth, renewal and prosperity, no other color conveys regeneration more than green. For centuries, many countries have chosen green to represent healing and unity.”
All that and Oz’s Emerald City that is. As per usual, much of this hue’s recent popularity can be directly tied to what’s going down on the runways. Since Fall 2011, the jewel tone has been making an impact both on the runways and the red carpet (ahem: Golden Globes 2011). More recently for Fall 2012, emerald touched down on runways at Gucci, Lanvin and Kenzo. Reaching its fever pitch as Pantone’s Colour of the Year for 2013, the jewel tone is being spotted everywhere for Spring 2013, most notably at Michael Kors, Stella McCartney and Christian Dior, where it was used to cut eyebrows and eyelids into jewels of their own. To prep for the emerald onslaught, we’ve selected several of Spring 2013′s most telling runway looks as well as several fashion and beauty products you can buy right now to get you in the emerald move.
Get to clicking, but just remember: don’t surrender Dorothy!
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- How to photograph well: Makeup tips to ensure you look as spectacular in pictures as you do in-person
- Marion Cotillard vs. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley: Who wore the little white dress best at Cannes?
- Wedding day beauty: Whether you’re the bride or a guest, 10 tips for romantic makeup and hair
- Discounts for all! Kate Spade, J.Crew, Hudson’s Bay and more will open at Toronto Premium Outlets
- Behind the scenes at Tanya Taylor’s wedding: From her haute couture wedding gown to the tropical paradise venue