With his slick pop sounds, his platinum shaved pompadour and his larger than life stage presence; Diamond Rings (John O’Regan IRL) is arguably Canada’s coolest artist. For those who have witnessed his greatness on stage, well, you get it. Those who haven’t? Just have a listen to his latest album Free Dimensional and you will too. Released last October, the 10-track synth offering is the surest sign that he’s made the big time, with the help of producer Damian Taylor, who has previously worked with Björk, The Killers and The Prodigy. His single, “I’m Just Me” screams anthem with every beat. To boot, his performed it on both The Late Show with David Letterman and The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. Not bad for a guy who used to create whole albums from his bedroom.
Last month when he was back in Toronto and hanging at the west end’s Drake Hotel, Diamond Rings let us have a peek at how he preps for a show. Inside his rather utilitarian Mountain Equipment Co-Op backpack, we found all the hallmarks: M.A.C red lipstick, a portable microphone and of course, a diamond ring.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- Dannijo launches a stunning six-piece collection to celebrate its 5th anniversary
- Best beauty apps: From cataloguing your nail polish to keeping you safe in the sun, 5 to download now
- Max Mara names a coat after Kate Middleton
- How to wear overalls: 5 Style Panel tips for taking this nineties staple from farmer to high-fashion
- Tom Ford’s Fall 2013 Ad Campaign is out and it is fierce