Spurred on by a particularly challenging year (both personally and on the global economic stage), Vawk designer Sunny Fong channeled his trials into a collection that referenced “the beauty of decay and Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow” under the grand spiral staircase at the Art Gallery of Ontario. The fiery shades that punctuated Fong’s Spring 2010 collection were replaced with a more apocalyptic (and right on trend) palette of grey, black, cream and camel. Fong played with textile juxtaposition on his suits, separates and coats–a felt coat featured a fur collar and sleeves, a jersey top teamed up with a leather and fur skirt, while a trench was divided by smooth and crinkled leathers. A favourite piece was a black military jacket that looked as though it had split at the seams, revealing neat strips of fur peeking through at the shoulders, neck and pockets. A diverse cast–courtesy of Fong’s business partner, model agent Ben Barry, and one silver-haired stomper who was apparently found on Craigslist–added to the wide appeal. We just wish some of the models had shown a little more chutzpah–we like to see the girl wearing the coat, not the coat wearing the girl.
Click the images below to see a gallery of the show. Catch our full coverage of Toronto Fashion Week at fashionmagazine.com/attheshows.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- How to photograph well: Makeup tips to ensure you look as spectacular in pictures as you do in-person
- Marion Cotillard vs. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley: Who wore the little white dress best at Cannes?
- Wedding day beauty: Whether you’re the bride or a guest, 10 tips for romantic makeup and hair
- Discounts for all! Kate Spade, J.Crew, Hudson’s Bay and more will open at Toronto Premium Outlets
- Behind the scenes at Tanya Taylor’s wedding: From her haute couture wedding gown to the tropical paradise venue