PFW Diary: Stefano Pilati says au revoir with an almost entirely black final collection at Yves Saint Laurent
“He sure is going out with a bang,” said the retailer sitting next to me, summing up Stefano Pilati’s final collection for Yves Saint Laurent.
Black suit after black suit—each one chicer and stricter than the next—opened the show, then life-size calla lilies in purple and green jacquard began appearing from head to toe. Those same hues gleamed in chain-link dresses, leather turtlenecks, and in a sort of stained-glass effect on the platforms and heels of pumps and boots. The mesh was also used as trim at the necklines of evening gowns and jumpsuits. Pilati took his bow to cheers, leaving a mood of hollow sadness in the room.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- Eva Longoria vs. Rooney Mara: Who wore it best on day 3 of the Cannes Film Festival?
- Topshop has launched a music festival style collection with Kate Bosworth: See all 21 Topshop Festival items now
- Rooney Mara is the face of Calvin Klein’s newest fragrance, Downtown Calvin Klein
- Lana Del Rey’s full FASHION Magazine Cover Shoot
- Summer 2013: Table of contents