TFW Diary: Holt Renfrew’s tap dancing ode to Canadian fashion stars standout collections from Smythe, Jeremy Laing, Dennis Merotto, and more!
Ball changes, box steps and skilful splits kicked off Holt Renfrew’s celebration of the Canadian catwalk as an enthusiastic tapper danced his way down the runway. It was an upbeat way to engage the crowd and usher in homegrown design talent, that’s for sure. Here’s the rundown of the best in show:
1. Cute cats on hats at Smythe brought a darker, urban-girl edge to a long peacoat, boxy houndstooth jacket and striped blazer.
2. Sleek sexed-up secretary work wear at Judith & Charles, including a covetable fur and leather jacket, came complete with pointed pumps and sheer hose. Asymmetric necklines and a killer navy nylon peplum suit got my heart beating a little quicker.
3. Layered shearlings, a leather sleeved red felt coat and an oversized fur hood that spill out across the shoulders are sure to keep you warm come next winter at Line.
4. Dennis Merotto’s easy separates (full skirts, buttoned tops and my personal favourite, the bicolour ankle pant) will have no trouble finding a place in every working woman’s wardrobe. Giant sweaters knit with fur, striated miniskirts and cozy cardigans that beg to be belted take comfortable casualwear up a few notches.
5. TwentyCluny’s shift dresses, exposed backs and glen plaid collared top with leather ankle pants would certainly make Marilyn proud.
6. Voluminous shapes, slashed floating chiffon panels and discreet prints were all standouts from Jeremy Laing’s latest.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- Luminato 2013: Marina Abramović, Willem Dafoe, Rufus Wainwright and a giant claw arcade game at opening night
- Dominico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana found guilty of tax evasion
- Braided updo: How to do a sweet summer style in just 5 easy steps
- Bonnaroo 2013: 28 photos of hippie fashion at its best
- Dannijo launches a stunning six-piece collection to celebrate its 5th anniversary