A grand ballroom festooned with gilded details at the Fairmont Royal York is very fitting for Toronto’s king of embellishment, Lucian Matis. But this fall, the Romanian-born designer ditched his signature crystal palace pieces for a more grown-up approach (think streamlined silhouettes and gorgeous lace) to dressing.
Inspired by details found in nature–butterfly markings, volcanic shapes–Matis centered his Fall 2012 collection around intricate lacework, texture-mixing and sharp, tailored lines. Standouts included the glam lace gown with the plunging neckline and Angelina Jolie–approved slit, the sweeping maxi coat (we’re still crushing on those detailed cuffs) and the mini dress with lacey side panels. Toward the show’s end, Matis did indulge his maximalist side with a small grouping of fine, feathered frocks, including one strapless version with a plumed train fit for any bird of paradise. The one misstep of the night? The paper-white pasties used to cover up the models which shone a little too brightly from underneath the sheer lace.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- Wedding day beauty: Whether you’re the bride or a guest, 9 tips for romantic makeup and hair
- Discounts for all! Kate Spade, J.Crew, Hudson’s Bay and more will open at Toronto Premium Outlets
- Behind the scenes at Tanya Taylor’s wedding: From her haute couture wedding gown to the tropical paradise venue
- What to wear on holiday: 41 shopping must-haves for the summer’s most stylish events
- Kate Middleton (and royal baby bump) shine in yellow Emilia Wickstead at the Queen’s garden party