Toronto Fashion Week Spring 2013: Tanya Taylor brings her promising flower power-inspired sophomore collection home
Toronto native Tanya Taylor returned home from current home base in New York to show her sophomore collection as the first to be presented in this year’s expat designer portfolio at The ShOws. And it couldn’t have been at a better time. Since starting her career designing for Elizabeth and James after degrees from McGill University and Parsons New School for Design, Taylor’s star has been rising, and since launching her first solo collection last season, we daresay it’s surging to the top.
Her sophomore effort for Spring 2013 was fun, flirty and refreshing in a way that we haven’t seen in these parts. Inspired by the Sandy Lane Hotel in Barbados, flower-power ‘60s prints were mixed together and styled alongside headscarf accessories giving it that retro getaway feel. Dresses featured side cut outs and full flowing A-line skirts. Pencil skirts were paired with belly baring tops and jackets worn over the shoulders. A key jacket in the collection was double breasted and was featured in blue, black and coral. The final strapless column look sparkled with Tanya Taylor’s bright floral covered in sequins. This sweet collection is one we hope to see in Canadian stores this spring.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- What’s in your bag, Beckerman sisters?
- Sneak a peek at the Joe Fresh makeup collection for Fall 2013: 34 beauty products that won’t break your budget
- Alexander McQueen is returning to the beauty world with a new fragrance collection
- Luminato 2013: Marina Abramović, Willem Dafoe, Rufus Wainwright and a giant claw arcade game at opening night
- Dominico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana found guilty of tax evasion