Valérie Dumaine (valeriedumaine.com) has been outfitting Montreal’s style set since 2004. Known for her sleek, sophisticated separates, she carries this pared-down aesthetic into her own closet too. Here, she shares her spooky sources of inspiration.
How would you describe your style?
“Lately, my direction has been related to the fabric. I found a new company in Bangladesh that prints on silk; the prints are very abstract, but I try to work with that. The Tesla tunic reminds me of Poltergeist, when the TV turns into static. I like that it’s kind of creepy.”
What is the inspiration behind your fall 2011 collection?
“I was going for something very elegant, with more sober lines than usual, a minimalist Jil Sander look.”
What were your design inspirations for fall?
“It’s never about a specific inspiration or concept—I just do what feels right. There are often short visuals that run in my head, like mini film trailers on repeat. I think, to a certain degree, I wanted to do something that felt a bit slowed down.”
You lived in Berlin for some time. How did that experience shape you?
“I’ve always been influenced by [that part of] Europe—the Bauhaus and clean lines.”
What inspires you?
“During college, I was listening to industrial music and wearing black. These days I’m more into classic rock and metal.”
How do you unwind?
“My boyfriend and I watch a lot of horror movies.”
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- How to photograph well: Makeup tips to ensure you look as spectacular in pictures as you do in-person
- Marion Cotillard vs. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley: Who wore the little white dress best at Cannes?
- Wedding day beauty: Whether you’re the bride or a guest, 10 tips for romantic makeup and hair
- Discounts for all! Kate Spade, J.Crew, Hudson’s Bay and more will open at Toronto Premium Outlets
- Behind the scenes at Tanya Taylor’s wedding: From her haute couture wedding gown to the tropical paradise venue