Designer Natasha Thomas launched her label, By Thomas (bythomas.ws), in 2011, shortly after being crowned winner of Fashion Pop, a juried show that takes place during Montreal’s Festival Mode & Design. Known for streamlined silhouettes and muted palettes, the 29-year-old Val-d’Or native has moved into colour and cool prints for spring. Here, she talks accessories and artistic inspiration.
What are the first things you do when you start a new collection?
“I usually look at different images and then go vintage shopping. I like to take pieces apart and make them look modern. The sleeves in the ’80s were huge, with shoulder pads, so I might shorten them and soften the silhouette.”
Your Jackson Pollock–esque print is really beautiful.
“It was developed from a painting by a friend. When I saw it, I just wanted to wear it. He let me have it scanned, and then I had it laser-printed on organic cotton.”
Did interning at an accessories brand change the way you approach designing clothes?
“I don’t think so, but I did include laser-cut leather bags in my collection. I originally wanted to be a handbag designer.”
Tell me about your trench coats.
“The fabric reminds me of a paper bag. It’s linen-viscose, coated with polyurethane so that it’s a bit waxy, like a raincoat.”
Are you trying to make a statement with your clothes?
“Eventually, I’d like to include fair trade. There’s a way that fashion can be good for communities. I wish I could make this statement now, but I’m not there yet.”
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- Kate Middleton (and royal baby bump) shine in yellow Emilia Wickstead at the Queen’s garden party
- What to wear to a wedding: 5 street style-inspired outfits and tips for every summer occasion
- J.Crew Vancouver: Go inside the Pacific Centre’s new women’s-only location
- Jessica Chastain vs. Milla Jovovich: Who wore it best on the Cleopatra red carpet at Cannes?
- Joe Fresh Fall 2013 look book: 38 items that are just as stylish as they are covetable