When it comes to eyewear, Kathy Tran believes that one size doesn’t fit all. While completing her MBA, this Toronto-based designer conceived the idea of redefining fit in the eyewear market (think non-slip frames and indent-free cheeks). Her debut collection of Kaytran Eyewear (kaytran.com) features 20 reinvented classics.
What inspired you to launch an eyewear brand?
“I had been looking for years for eyewear that fit my Asian facial structure—I have a smaller nose bridge. I decided to design a collection that would offer a different fit. There are endless options for jeans to suit [various] body types—why should eyewear be any different?”
What are some of the unique aspects of your frames?
“The elevated nose pads, reduced frame curvature and widened temple angles ensure that the frames rest on your nose bridge without slipping, and they won’t leave indents on your cheeks.”
Which styles have been getting the most attention?
“The Aiden frame—the acetate is a tortoiseshell colour marbled with violet or indigo. Also, the Celine has been popular because of its rose-gold metal frame with double-faced acetate.”
Which three frames does every woman need in her collection?
“Rectangular—they’re perfect for everyday, cat eye—this style is universally flattering because of its upswept shape, and aviator—they’re timeless.”
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- How to photograph well: Makeup tips to ensure you look as spectacular in pictures as you do in-person
- Marion Cotillard vs. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley: Who wore the little white dress best at Cannes?
- Wedding day beauty: Whether you’re the bride or a guest, 10 tips for romantic makeup and hair
- Discounts for all! Kate Spade, J.Crew, Hudson’s Bay and more will open at Toronto Premium Outlets
- Behind the scenes at Tanya Taylor’s wedding: From her haute couture wedding gown to the tropical paradise venue