American retailers must have all set their compasses due north because yet another U.S. chain has announced plans to set up shop here in Canada. As if we weren’t already excited enough about next year’s arrival of cheap-chic retailer Target, now Nordstrom has announced plans to open four locations in the Great White North as well.
The American department store, which falls within the mid- to high-end range (think smack dab between the Bay and Holt Renfrew), will be setting up shop in three of Sears’ former locations: Calgary’s Chinook Centre, Vancouver’s Pacific Centre and Ottawa’s Rideau Centre, plus Toronto’s Sherway Gardens Mall.
The Nordstrom expansion is just the latest in a series of shake-ups the Canadian retail world has seen. Sears has been shuttering windows on its underperforming locations as the retailer tightens its belt and turns its focus back to core departments, ending leases on several prime locations. The Bay’s transition into the higher-end market is yet another example of retail branding overhaul, and now both Holt Renfrew and Harry Rosen are rumoured to be stepping up their games in preparation for Nordstrom’s arrival.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- How to dress for a wedding: 13 Style Panel Tips for being the best dressed guest this summer
- Cannes 2013 red carpet beauty: The scoop on Aishwarya Rai’s hair, Marion Cotillard’s mascara and more
- Beauty Fix: Say goodbye to stretch marks, the best bronzer for darker skin tones and more answers to your beauty questions
- Cannes 2013: Jennifer Lawrence, Emma Waston, Nicole Kidman and more top our best Cannes red carpet looks
- Bouffant hair tutorial: How to add some Lana Del Rey-approved volume to your look