Black and white houndstooth is by no means a new trend in fashion—it gained mainstream popularity in the 1930s and has been modified many times over. For Fall 2012 designers have once again put their spin on the classic look and there are many houndstooth pieces that can be kicked up by simply adding red and gold accents.
Maisonette 1977’s form-fitting dress is not full-on houndstooth, but rather gives a hint of the pattern on the top and bottom in case you’re too nervous to go for the whole nine yards. However, for full-on houndstooth try the popular pattern on pants (like this pair by Melanie Lyne) or on a Jacob skirt. If you’re wearing houndstooth on the bottom, be sure to not do the same on top—break it up with a bold colour, like a red blouse from Equipment.
You can also add pops of colour with the accessories you choose to accent with. Red and black heels by Aquazzura will keep you completely on trend, or go small with jewellery. A red and gold ring by Kate Spade or some gold bracelets from Pandora will add just the right amount of colour, turning a classic outfit into something fiery and fresh.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- Kate Middleton (and royal baby bump) shine in yellow Emilia Wickstead at the Queen’s garden party
- What to wear to a wedding: 5 street style-inspired outfits and tips for every summer occasion
- J.Crew Vancouver: Go inside the Pacific Centre’s new women’s-only location
- Jessica Chastain vs. Milla Jovovich: Who wore it best on the Cleopatra red carpet at Cannes?
- Joe Fresh Fall 2013 look book: 38 items that are just as stylish as they are covetable