After 170 years of being located strictly in Quebec, Simons is ready to make a move west. In October the department store will open its doors in Alberta at the West Edmonton Mall.
Amongst the roller coasters and water parks in the giant mall, Simons will occupy 95,000 square feet (that’s a lot of feet!) and will sell international brands like Missoni and Balmain as well as its well-loved in-house brand.
While we’re a little sad that this expansion skips Ontario, the move west seems to be part of a bigger trend: American retailer Nordstrom also set their sights on Alberta and are opening their first Canadian location in Calgary in 2014.
Peter Simons, the CEO of Simons, explained the choice via press release: “We look forward to bringing the Simons experience to Edmonton—a vibrant, growing city with an appreciation for inspiring fashion.” Well then, to Edmonton we shall go!
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- Eva Longoria vs. Rooney Mara: Who wore it best on day 3 of the Cannes Film Festival?
- Topshop has launched a music festival style collection with Kate Bosworth: See all 21 Topshop Festival items now
- Rooney Mara is the face of Calvin Klein’s newest fragrance, Downtown Calvin Klein
- Lana Del Rey’s full FASHION Magazine Cover Shoot
- Summer 2013: Table of contents