Meaning: An emotional or spiritual rapture; the state of transcending consciousness.
Usage: “As a small child, I felt in my heart two contradictory feelings, the horror of life and the ecstasy of life.” — Baudelaire
You should know it because: Ecstasy is the subject of Rihanna‘s Tumblr-perfect new video for “We Found Love” ft. Calvin Harris. Directed by Gregg Araki, the video stars some bizarro HipsteRihanna, complete with Levi’s, creepers, cheap beer, fireworks for no reason, 1,000 cigarettes, a music festival attended by only her friends, and a boy-lover with an unfortunate bleach job. Basically, you have to see it. Now. When you see her swallowing pills, getting all pupilly Reqieum-styles, and vomiting streamers, you might think this video is about ecstasy the drug. While I in no way condone this interpretation, and would like all the children out there to know that this video is about L-to-the-O-V-E, I will say that ecstasy (the drug) has never made anyone look as supernaturally pretty as Rihanna does throughout. Well, maybe in the mirror. You know? Okay, now don’t tell your mom we talked about this.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- Kate Middleton (and royal baby bump) shine in yellow Emilia Wickstead at the Queen’s garden party
- What to wear to a wedding: 5 street style-inspired outfits and tips for every summer occasion
- J.Crew Vancouver: Go inside the Pacific Centre’s new women’s-only location
- Jessica Chastain vs. Milla Jovovich: Who wore it best on the Cleopatra red carpet at Cannes?
- Joe Fresh Fall 2013 look book: 38 items that are just as stylish as they are covetable