Jason Wu returned to Vancouver, his childhood home and the place he first learned to sew, to woo the waists of many a grown woman with his Kaws-inspired Spring 2012 collection. The Thursday night preview and cocktail party at The Room drew a mix of fashion folk and moneyed madams. Models in Wu’s punchy frocks worked the room, as did Wu himself, snapping photos with his fans. A few even paused to notice the Kaws-drawn pink paws worked into some of the floral prints.
What are the designer’s recollections of the city? “I had a tutor here named Muriel, she taught me English through reading fashion magazines, because that was a subject I was interested in,” says Wu. “That’s how I got bit by the fashion bug.” It’s safe to say the Wu bug infected more than a few at the bash—the only cure, a cascading gown of neon green.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- Kate Middleton (and royal baby bump) shine in yellow Emilia Wickstead at the Queen’s garden party
- What to wear to a wedding: 5 street style-inspired outfits and tips for every summer occasion
- J.Crew Vancouver: Go inside the Pacific Centre’s new women’s-only location
- Jessica Chastain vs. Milla Jovovich: Who wore it best on the Cleopatra red carpet at Cannes?
- Joe Fresh Fall 2013 look book: 38 items that are just as stylish as they are covetable