If there were anyone who’d be worth listening to when it comes to style pointers, it’d be Iris Apfel. The “geriatric star,” as she refers to herself, has 90 years of experience in the field. With a M.A.C cosmetics line and a Costume Institute exhibit of her wildly eccentric wardrobe under her belt, it’s safe to say she’s an expert. True to form, Apfel had sharp one-liners and nuggets of wisdom to spare during a talk with Tavi Gevinson at the Met last night.
When asked about throwing looks together in the morning, Apfel advised taking chances:
“If you put something on and it doesn’t look good, the fashion police aren’t going to come and take you away. And if they do, you might have some fun in jail.”
Though she’s known for her flamboyant and eccentric style, Apfel had a thing or two to say about Comme des Garçons’ notorious bump collection:
“I see no sense in paying a fortune to look like a freak. I can look ugly on my own and it won’t cost me a penny.”
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- Eva Longoria vs. Rooney Mara: Who wore it best on day 3 of the Cannes Film Festival?
- Topshop has launched a music festival style collection with Kate Bosworth: See all 21 Topshop Festival items now
- Rooney Mara is the face of Calvin Klein’s newest fragrance, Downtown Calvin Klein
- Lana Del Rey’s full FASHION Magazine Cover Shoot
- Summer 2013: Table of contents