Just when you thought Lana Del Rey had the dirty Nancy Sinatra market cornered, she’s turned up as not one, but two other ‘60s icons in her new video for “National Anthem.” The heady, Instagrammed short features the singer as both Marilyn Monroe and Jackie Kennedy alongside indie rapper A$AP Rocky as a nouveau JFK (because what the deceased former U.S. president really needs added to his legacy is cornrows, right?).
Del Rey replicates Monroe’s famed “Happy Birthday” serenade in a body hugging gown and then morphs into a bouffanted Jackie (with longer acrylics) who sings as she’s perched on a taxidermic lion/lying in Rocky’s arms/dancing/smoking/drinking/holding her fictional babies. And then, pow. It’s Dallas 1963 again and all of the over-the-top styling aside, we’re transported into patriotic (not even ours!) sadness once more. She’s done it again, friends.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- Eva Longoria vs. Rooney Mara: Who wore it best on day 3 of the Cannes Film Festival?
- Topshop has launched a music festival style collection with Kate Bosworth: See all 21 Topshop Festival items now
- Rooney Mara is the face of Calvin Klein’s newest fragrance, Downtown Calvin Klein
- Lana Del Rey’s full FASHION Magazine Cover Shoot
- Summer 2013: Table of contents