Up until she was hand-plucked by Balenciaga designer Nicolas Ghesquière to be the face of the label’s latest fragrance, Florabotanica, Kristen Stewart was a perfume virgin. Growing up, her interests were more of the rough-and-tumble variety than sneaking samples of her mom’s cosmetics. Considering that the Snow White and the Huntsman star admits she’s “a terrible liar,” there was some anxiety leading up to her first encounter with Balenciaga’s new scent—but by the sounds of it, Stewart is now hooked:
“On a base level, the reason you want to wear a fragrance is because you want to smell attractive. That in itself is a pretty mature idea, especially considering the teenager I was. I was never the one wearing my mom’s perfume and trying to be sexy. I was like, hanging out with my brothers and doing the opposite of that. […] There is something natural about [Florabotanica]. It’s very alive. I think that as a young person wearing it—considering that I’ve never worn a scent—it kind of puts you on this level of, like, ‘Whoa, check me out.’”
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- Kate Middleton (and royal baby bump) shine in yellow Emilia Wickstead at the Queen’s garden party
- What to wear to a wedding: 5 street style-inspired outfits and tips for every summer occasion
- J.Crew Vancouver: Go inside the Pacific Centre’s new women’s-only location
- Jessica Chastain vs. Milla Jovovich: Who wore it best on the Cleopatra red carpet at Cannes?
- Joe Fresh Fall 2013 look book: 38 items that are just as stylish as they are covetable