Prince William’s got a fancy new Scottish title (that his great grandfather probably couldn’t say three times fast) and Kate’s wearing a beautiful new dress!
The Royals visited Edinburgh earlier today for a service we don’t think we can quite say out loud, but we’ll try to explain it without getting tongue-tied. Held at St. Giles Cathedral in the Scottish capital, Wills was installed as the Knight of the Thistle at a special thistle service. The Order of the Thistle (anyone making the connection to this scene from The King’s Speech but me?) is the highest honour of chivalry given in Scotland and can only been bestowed by the Queen herself (how convenient!) Since Kate and Wills are already known as the Earl and Countess of Strathearn in Scotland, we’re hoping some amazing new hybrid title becomes a gossip mag norm…
But let’s get down to what we really all care about: Kate’s beautiful new dress! The soft yellow (Queenie’s favourite colour, no less) coat dress was designed by Emilia Wickstead, who previously designed Kate’s light pink garden party dress and green coat dress that she wore in Ireland on St. Patrick’s Day. The dress was made especially for the Duchess and reportedly took six weeks to make. Kate’s accessories for the occasion include the Whiteley fascinator she previously wore to last year’s Epsom Derby and to a wedding this year, brown suede Emmy heels and clutch, Kiki McDonough drop citrine earrings and a scarf made of Strathearn tartan, which she wore to the Diamond Jubilee pageant last month. Oh, that thoughtful (thistle?) lass.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- How to photograph well: Makeup tips to ensure you look as spectacular in pictures as you do in-person
- Marion Cotillard vs. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley: Who wore the little white dress best at Cannes?
- Wedding day beauty: Whether you’re the bride or a guest, 10 tips for romantic makeup and hair
- Discounts for all! Kate Spade, J.Crew, Hudson’s Bay and more will open at Toronto Premium Outlets
- Behind the scenes at Tanya Taylor’s wedding: From her haute couture wedding gown to the tropical paradise venue