It’s not often that we are stumped by what a star is wearing on the red carpet. Even the great fashion minds of the Bay were baffled by the make of Emily Blunt’s ruched tulle dress, worn to yesterday’s TIFF premiere of Arthur Newman, the film in which she stars alongside Colin Firth as a lost soul in ripped tights, black work-boots and kohl-rimmed eyes who helps concoct a new identity for a man (Colin Firth) who runs away from his family.
“Marchesa maybe?” mused The Room creative director Nicholas Mellamphy, who between Paris, London, Milan and New York, has seen pretty much every frock there is to see for Fall 2012. It turns out the pretty off-white number was made from scraps of tulle reclaimed from Tory Burch’s cutting room floor.
“Colin Firth’s wife Livia has the Project Green Runway challenge which encourages designers to use their leftover materials,” Blunt proudly declared, showing me her recycled brass necklace, and beaded FEED bag clutch. “I am very proud to be supporting her.”
After the Arthur Newman screening at a dinner held at Michael’s on Simcoe St., Emily Blunt sat next to Colin Firth, who was celebrating his 52nd birthday. The pair seemed to have much to chat about, given the film’s outlandish plot (the two travel across the United States breaking into empty houses and assuming fake identities).
“It killed any thoughts I might have of running away from my life,” I told Firth. “At least for another few weeks, I hope,” he laughed.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- What to wear on holiday: 41 shopping must-haves for the summer’s most stylish events
- Kate Middleton (and royal baby bump) shine in yellow Emilia Wickstead at the Queen’s garden party
- What to wear to a wedding: 5 street style-inspired outfits and tips for every summer occasion
- J.Crew Vancouver: Go inside the Pacific Centre’s new women’s-only location
- Jessica Chastain vs. Milla Jovovich: Who wore it best on the Cleopatra red carpet at Cannes?