If Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson could have predicted the future, maybe they wouldn’t have become immortalized as Bella and Edward in Twilight. With a little less fame (and drama and scandals), Patti Smith may have cast the couple in her film adaption of her best selling book, Just Kids.
The book, which became a New York Times bestseller after its release in 2010, documents Smith and photographer, Robert Mapplethorpe’s, relationship and struggles as artists in New York. Their relationship ended after seven years of living together, without a scandal—which is more than we can say for Kristen and Robert. Had Mapplethorpe and Smith reached the same levels of fame as the Twilight couple, remaining close friends would have been impossible.
She told Entertainment Weekly, “I remember the very first time I saw Kristen Stewart and Rob Pattinson together, when they were younger, and I thought, ‘Those two kids could have easily played us when they were first starting. There’s something in his eyes. And Robert [Mapplethorpe] was also a bit shy, and a bit stoic. Kristen has a very special quality. She’s not conventionally beautiful, but very charismatic.”
That’s one way to put it. But because of KStew and RPatz stardom, they will not land the roles, Smith said, “Robert and I were very young. We were 20. We were unknowns, and I think it should be unknowns in the film, and young.”
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- How to photograph well: Makeup tips to ensure you look as spectacular in pictures as you do in-person
- Marion Cotillard vs. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley: Who wore the little white dress best at Cannes?
- Wedding day beauty: Whether you’re the bride or a guest, 10 tips for romantic makeup and hair
- Discounts for all! Kate Spade, J.Crew, Hudson’s Bay and more will open at Toronto Premium Outlets
- Behind the scenes at Tanya Taylor’s wedding: From her haute couture wedding gown to the tropical paradise venue