As voters south of the border effectively re-elected President Barack Obama into office for his second term, we, fashionites breathed a sigh of relief: here’s to another years of Michelle Obama, her arms and her championing of American designers.
To celebrate alongside her husband last night in Chicago, the First Lady wore a magenta silk chine Michael Kors dress. While it may be the colour of the opposition, red (and its shades) seem to be the safe choice for Michelle Obama when it comes to historical events. Who could forget the red and black sleeveless Narciso Rodriguez number she wore on election night back in November ‘08 as her husband historically defeated John McCain to become the first black president of the United States?
Michelle Obama is no stranger to A+ sartorial choices, and can usually be seen wearing homegrown talents such as Thakoon, Tracy Reese, Reuben and Isabel Toledo and Jason Wu, whose career has skyrocketed since the First Lady famously wore his dress to the Inaugural Ball back ’09. It was the stuff of Jackie Kennedy-like spine chills. Here’s to many many more of those.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- Beauty Fix: Say goodbye to stretch marks, the best bronzer for darker skin tones and more answers to your beauty questions
- Cannes 2013: Jennifer Lawrence, Emma Waston, Nicole Kidman and more top our best Cannes red carpet looks
- Bouffant hair tutorial: How to add some Lana Del Rey-approved volume to your look
- Eva Longoria vs. Rooney Mara: Who wore it best on day 3 of the Cannes Film Festival?
- Topshop has launched a music festival style collection with Kate Bosworth: See all 21 Topshop Festival items now