While busy designing his namesake line, Christopher Kane has been working at the helm of Versus, alongside Donatella Versace for the past six years. Today, the label announced a mutual separation agreement. Versus plans to slow down the production of its seasonal collections and focus more on the digital aspect of the brand, with Donatella Versace designing the label with help from young designers and stylists.
About his departure from Versus, Kane said, “the time has come to dedicate all my focus to the future of the Christopher Kane label.” Or could he mean Balenciaga?
On Saturday, reports were circulating that he had accepted the newly vacant position at the French house, however a spokesperson for Kane was quick to dispel them today by saying, “Rumors surrounding Christopher Kane’s appointment as creative director of Balenciaga are unfounded.”
We know that the team at Balenciaga has a shortlist of designers they’re looking at to take over the role (although they wouldn’t name any names), but Kane seems to be the one that continues to come up in the rumour mill. With Ghesquière’s last day at Balenciaga on November 30, and Kane just announcing his departure from Versus, it seems like more than just a coincidence to us.
At last report, Balenciaga is set to announce a successor to Ghesquière “as soon as we’re ready.” For now we’ll just have to wait impatiently and see what happens next.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- 12 Days of Christmas Giveaways: Check out what you can win in our third annual holiday contest!
- Holiday makeup: 8 Beauty Panel tips on getting party-ready in a flash
- Best holiday nail art: 16 fun and festive tutorials that’ll make your nails shine
- Carte Blanche: Toronto fashion hits Miami in this all-white exclusive photo shoot
- Toronto sample sales: December 2013′s enviable list of local designer discounts and pop-ups