Whether you’re equestrian obsessed, enjoy the excitement of racing or just want a reason to wear a Kate Middleton-worthy hat, the Queen’s Plate is where you should be this Sunday. Not only is it Canada’s oldest annual Thoroughbred race, it’s one with royal blessing. Queen Elizabeth has attended a number of times, as part of a tradition started by her father, King George IV. (Considering that you’ll never see the Queen look as happy as she does when she’s at a horse race, you know you’ll be in for a good time at Woodbine on Sunday!)
The other reason the Queen’s Plate is such a big deal is due to it being the first race in Canada’s Triple Crown—putting it on par with the biggest racing event in the United States, the Kentucky Derby. To celebrate, Woodbine is hosting a red carpet Hats & Horseshoes party at the Walking Ring, which is sure to draw Toronto’s most stylish set in their horse racing best. For the Queen’s Plate, this means big hats and fascinators, garden party dresses and prim shoes. To add even further style incentive to Sunday’s event, FashionMagazine.com will be there to crown the best dressed Hats & Horseshoes attendee. If you need some inspiration or are simply wondering what to wear to a horse race, read on to see our top picks for Queen’s Plate style.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- Low chignon tutorial: How to get holiday party-ready hair in less than 15 minutes
- All the sexy, fashiony connections we could draw from Beyoncé’s epic visual album drop
- 12 Days of Christmas Giveaways: Enter to win a Philosophy holiday collection prize pack!
- Best beauty tricks: 9 ways to take your skincare and makeup routine to the next level
- Nicola Formichetti’s Diesel: The new artistic director talks fashion fantasy, social media and denim revolution