The Grand Palais in Paris was the centre of the universe, at least for five minutes this morning. Chanel‘s lustful Fall 2013 prêt-à-porter show staged a giant rotating globe in the main hall, which was illuminated by a rare sunny sky, gently bathing the atrium roof in a light mellow glow. The globe, as it turned, showcased little Chanel flags indicating the iconic brand’s international reach. The Chanel soundtrack began with classical music that eventually tripped into a hip hop number with the lyrics “Around the world” pulsing over and over again.
And then the clothes! All the expected ingredients were there: suits, chain purses and double C logos. The tweed jackets this season were cut lower on the hip, in many cases with a hem of mini-pleats. Some ensembles shimmered with metallic accents, while others popped in bubblegum pink. Newer silhouettes included the roomier, ubiquitous coat body with dropped sleeves, matched with a fuller ruffle miniskirt, as well as balloon sleeves that tightened at the forearm like gloves. For a playful addition, patent thigh-high leggings (in black and white) coordinated with matching boots adorned with chains. Also, several models sported furry helmets in cobalt, mint and pastel pink for a look that resembled a kooky version of Lego hair.
In his thank-you appearance in the finale, Karl Lagerfeld walked once counterclockwise around the planet. During so, he waved and sent kisses to the world that not only stood and applauded before him, but whom he clearly held in the palm of his hand.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- Forget family heirlooms! Kate Middleton pairs a $40 Zara necklace with a Roland Mouret gown
- Introducing Gwen Stefani by OPI: From Swarovski nail art to a new mirror-finish polish, all the details on this collab
- 12 Days of Christmas Giveaways: Check out what you can win in our third annual holiday contest!
- Holiday makeup: 8 Beauty Panel tips on getting party-ready in a flash
- Best holiday nail art: 16 fun and festive tutorials that’ll make your nails shine