It’s no secret that Pierre Bergé, Yves Saint Laurent’s former partner and business advisor, adores Hedi Slimane. The mogul would famously exclude then-designer Stefano Pilati from YSL parties and invite Slimane in his place. Nevertheless, Bergé thinks Slimane’s got some big shoes to fill (on the scale of a Nobel Prize–winner, no less), telling T Magazine:
“It’s a great problem, very complicated, to recreate the work of a genius. Like trying to rewrite Faulkner. To put your stamp on the name of Yves Saint Laurent requires someone who has talent, conviction, rigor, a demanding nature and a great sense of colour.”
No need to worry, though. It seems Bergé is more than confident that Slimane has got the design chops for the job, telling Fashionista:
“I am very, very happy today to have Hedi Slimane because he is a great fashion designer and he has a great talent, a huge talent. I like him, he is a friend and he worked for Saint Laurent a long time ago and he’s a member of the family, of the YSL family. I’m very happy.”
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- 12 Days of Christmas Giveaways: Enter to win a pair of Strategia boots from The September!
- What’s in your bag, Song of Style’s Aimee Song?
- Holiday happy hour: 5 stylish cocktails to try this season
- Inside Chanel’s Dallas Métiers d’Art extravaganza: Kristen Stewart, cowboy hats, vintage convertibles and more!
- 12 Days of Christmas Giveaways: Enter to win a T3 blow dryer and flatiron!