Inside the Mugler event at the Bay Vancouver: 23 photos of partygoers skipping out on election night to meet Nicola Formichetti
A good-looking crowd of Vancouverites elected to put on their Tuesday Best (lipstick, heels, an exaggerated shoulder) last night and head to The Room at the Bay rather than sit at home in sweatpants glued to the Obama-Romney battle royal. What lured them away from CNN? Two other men, Mugler creative director Nicola Formichetti and women’s designer Sébastien Peigné, plus an exhibition of out-of-this-world dresses from the archives.
The handlebar bustier from George Michael’s “Too Funky” video, the black dress Demi Moore donned in Indecent Proposal, a gown from the Fall/Winter ’97-’98 Couture collection akin to iridescent insect armour and scores more had a number of jaws locked in permanent drop. Guests included former principal dancer with The National Ballet of Canada, Chan Hon Goh, senior vice president Patricia Abergel, designer Jason Matlo and stylist Helen Krispis. Those who didn’t land an invite to the event still have a chance to see the pieces up close and personal—they’ll be sticking around for a week.
The U.S. election was never far from everyone’s minds though. During a private dinner at L’Abattoir following the party, Nicola Formichetti yelled “Obama!”—declaring sweet victory just after dessert—and all his dining companions cheered.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- Forget family heirlooms! Kate Middleton pairs a $40 Zara necklace with a Roland Mouret gown
- Introducing Gwen Stefani by OPI: From Swarovski nail art to a new mirror-finish polish, all the details on this collab
- 12 Days of Christmas Giveaways: Check out what you can win in our third annual holiday contest!
- Holiday makeup: 8 Beauty Panel tips on getting party-ready in a flash
- Best holiday nail art: 16 fun and festive tutorials that’ll make your nails shine