Azealia Banks has put herself in a PC circa 1995 in her newest video for “Atlantis”. With screensaver like visuals straight out of your first computer, Banks dances and raps wearing holographic sunglasses, crop tops with choker necklaces and shiny harem pants.
It’s not every day that you get to watch someone ride a dolphin through space or hang out in the mouth of a shark, but in the video for “Atlantis” Azealia Banks has the honour of taking part of these activities (not IRL, in case you were wondering). The 21-year-old has carved a spot for herself in the fashion world with her love of crop tops and perfectly wavy hair, not to mention her model pals like Cara Delevingne and guest star spots at parties for Chanel, H&M’s Anna Dello Russo collab and more.
The cyber-rave style of “Atlantis” is yet another example of the return of the ‘90s but Azealia Banks isn’t alone with her liking of clip-art inspired visuals. Rihanna performed her hit “Diamonds” this past weekend on Saturday Night Live standing in front of a Window’s ’95 screensaver quite similar to Azealia Banks. But upon seeing the cyber-goth style of Azealia’s latest video, we were reminded of Adam Levett’s video “PRTY” which premiered at Toronto Fashion Week Spring 2013 as a part of the Disconnect film festival. His video starred Style Panel member, Chloe Wise, who danced and posed alongside photoshopped images of Riff Raff as well as Azealia Banks.
It seems everyone’s feeling the resurgence of the ‘90s and we won’t lie, we are too.
Join the discussion
Neither the author nor FASHION Magazine necessarily agrees with the comments posted here. Editors will not correct spelling or grammar. FASHION Magazine reserves the right to edit or delete comments entirely.
Brand New on Fashion
- Forget family heirlooms! Kate Middleton pairs a $40 Zara necklace with a Roland Mouret gown
- Introducing Gwen Stefani by OPI: From Swarovski nail art to a new mirror-finish polish, all the details on this collab
- 12 Days of Christmas Giveaways: Check out what you can win in our third annual holiday contest!
- Holiday makeup: 8 Beauty Panel tips on getting party-ready in a flash
- Best holiday nail art: 16 fun and festive tutorials that’ll make your nails shine